Friday 19 April 2019

Dandelion Flower Dye - One Yellow, Three Greens

On the first of April I turned the page of my calendar to see a picture of dandelion dyes. The day was sunny and light of heart with the promise of spring, I grabbed a bag and set off for my usual hunting ground, a wide verge beside the A48. 
Sure enough, the grass was ablaze with dandelion flowers. I used to feel horribly self conscious crouching to pick them as fast as I could, imagining people driving past might consider me foolish. This year, that galvanising thought had barely occurred to me before the verge was stripped. Once I got home, I found I had only 700g of dandelions, rather less than the usual kilogramme.
I simmered the flowers for an hour and looked for some fibres to dye. This 200g of super chunky singles wool yarn from World of Wool was mordanted with alum a couple of years ago and has been lurking at the bottom of the basket because I've previously found the white Cheviot yarn didn't seem to take up much from plant dye baths.
The following day, the skeins of yarn were simmered in the dandelion dye bath for an hour and left to cool. The day after that, I hooked them out for a look at the result and my companion, Elinor Gotland, glanced up from doing her crossword.
"Of all the weeds in all of Wales, that is the most weedy yellow you've ever dyed, Beaut."
"Mmm, not enough sunshine yet, not enough dandelions and not the ideal yarn, either. Still, I've not given up hope. This dye bath has been fermenting for a couple of days, it's bound to be acidic. The colour will look better after a rinse in plain water."

Though my companion looked dubious, I wasn't wrong. The skein on the far left of this photo was simply rinsed and dried, the second was reheated in half the dye bath with a splash of iron solution before rinsing and the third was reheated with copper solution, which modifies colour best in an acidic environment. The fourth was originally the grey skein, proving once again that yellow + grey = green.
All four skeins were knitted into an entrelac bag which was felted in the washing machine with colour washing powder. I expected the alkaline powder to intensify the dandelion dye colours even further and I'd say the plain yellow, the grey base and the copper modified greens did get marginally stronger. One surprise, the iron modified skein shifted to a rather beige toned green variation, which hasn't happened before. 
I'd never claim to be astonished by beige, that just seems to be the default state for amateur natural dyers. I stared moodily at the beige sections of the bag.

My companion waved a hoof.
"Cheer up Chicken, it's Easter, the family are coming and it's time to hide chocolate in the garden."

Elinor will not be missing a trick from her eagle's nest. 
I suspect all my eggs may end up in one basket.

8 comments:

  1. You used only the flowers and no leaves? Jenny Dean in her Wild Color shows flowers together with leaves to give even richer colours. I will have to try it myself ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remind me that I meant to experiment with dandelion leaves - thanks, April is nearly over but its not too late yet ...

      Delete
  2. More useful stuff, thank you. I like that bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm pleased with it and think I shall blog the pattern this week, so I don't forget.

      Delete
  3. ah well, the joys of natural dyeing:) you just never quite know what you'll get... but the bag looks good! and if you really hate the beige bit so much, you can always add a bit of embroidery... happy easter anyway:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I've been caught up in the bag pattern, embellishments are often more fun.

      Delete
  4. After i extremely technique head office that will so that you can wonderful informatics. It happens to be what precisely i appeared being looking to find. I might identified so that you can recommend an individual which often simplicity away from concoct speaking about like become a member of relating to information. Amazing! Reduce an individual! After i continuously important to makeup in my personalized organize anything suited which often. online sewing classes for beginners NZ

    ReplyDelete