Friday 2 August 2019

A Trial of Dyeing with Dock Leaves


As I paused to collect an armful of dock leaves, my companion, Elinor Gotland sighed.
"Why on earth bring home weeds when you've a whole garden full of dye plant flowers that need picking?"
"Well, I know pretty much what colours I'll get from my own plants and I fancied trying something new."
"You're such an adrenaline junky, Beaut. Couldn't you go bungee jumping instead of spoiling any more yarn?"
"This isn't just some random impulse, it's a cunning plan. Dock leaves could save me a lot of time and effort. In Jenny Dean's book 'Wild Colour', she says dock leaves fix yellow colours onto wool with no mordant." I snapped off one last spike and turned toward home. "Think about it, Elinor, dock is a plentiful wild dye plant so no time spent sowing, watering and tending to it and what's more, no time spent preparing fibres before dyeing them. Quick and easy."
"Yellow with no mordant? You're sure? All sounds that bit too good to be true."
"Well, I'm going to test these dock leaves out on some wool yarn. I'll try dyeing one unmordanted skein and one mordanted with 10% alum, see if there's any difference."



I simmered 400g of dock leaves in 10 litres of water and left them to cool overnight. When the leaves were sieved out next day, the dye (central sample) looked a very decent yellow. Testing with pH indicator strips showed it had become naturally acidic, adding vinegar to make the sample on the left more acidic made little apparent difference, while adding soda ash to make the sample on the right alkaline deepened the colour to a strong bronze.
"Feast your mistrustful eyes on that, Ms Gotland. Looks like a pretty good dye bath to me."
My companion glanced up from the crossword.
"Handsome is as handsome does, Beaut."


Two 100g skeins of wool went into the 400g dock leaf dye bath and were simmered for an hour and left overnight. Neither came out yellow. The one that had previously been mordanted with alum looked just a little browner, but if Elinor caught sight of this undeniably beige yarn, I was going to have to eat crow.
I put both skeins in an alkali rinse, hoping it would bring up the colour and it did shift them to a more golden beige. When one was further modified by heating it in an iron solution it turned a dark khaki green.
My companion wandered over.
"That's a lot of fuss you're going to with that quick and easy dock leaf dye, Beaut."
"Oh" I said airily "I've dyed loads of this yarn with yellow dye plants already. What I really needed was a bit of contrast colour."
One granny square pattern in heavy wool yarn on a 6mm hook was a quick and easy way to make a substantial footrest. The inside is stuffed with a considerable weight of failed experiments on yarn and fabric. 
I name this pouffe 'Crouching Crochet, Hidden Beige'.

12 comments:

  1. I tried dyeing with dock this year, too! I split the bath in two and got a beautiful yellow on alum mordanted yarn. With the other half (cooled), I put some non-mordanted wool and let it sit for about two weeks. (This was just the second time I'd tried a fermentation bath; the other time was on your suggestion with fruit bark). I got the most fabulous orange!! I just spun it up during the Tour de Fleece and am so pleased with it. I will definitely be trying dock out again. Time of year might make a difference? I think I harvested in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could well be right about the time of year - or maybe it just wasn't my day :(

      Delete
  2. VegetablesMatter5 August 2019 at 04:46

    Nice to have you back. I missed you and was hoping you were maybe on a nice vacation?
    Often when I post, it says Anonymous, though I've put my name in. This and the one right above are from VegetablesMatter. Hiya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya - thanks for the kind words. Life hasn't been plain sailing this summer, I've been struggling to hammer out posts with my heart not really in it. This week the blog mojo returned even if the dyeing wasn't a success :)

      Delete
  3. Good to see you back, I'm a bit of an inconsistent blogger lately, but life is sooo hectic here!
    I love the name of your pouffe, so funny :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad to hear your enthusiasm waned. I hope it was just a temporary reboot of creative rest and recovery. Having just turned down an offer of a Christmas calendar gift (because yours was the ONLY calendar I have cherished all year), and given that it is now November 1, I write hoping that you have created a 2020 calendar. Reading through the sparse posts this year, it looks like the 2019 calendar will have to do for 2020...please tell me I’m wrong. If I must, I will cope. Your suggestions and timing as well as your photos and prose will easily carry me on another year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, no calendar this year, but thanks very much for writing.

      Delete
  5. I do hope you are well, and just having a well deserved rest. I miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arlee, I am fine. Truth is, himself and I are separating, got to focus on sorting things out and selling the house. Hopefully, I'll find somewhere with a bit of outside space and maybe next year I'll be blogging about starting a new dye garden :)

      Delete
    2. Not an easy time, i know. I wish you calm and speed for settling things, and looking forward to the future.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear darling Frannie, hope you feel better soon. As they say, one door closes and another door opens. I can't believe it, your lovely garden, your walks with the dog. When I separated I had to grieve for my lost dreams, for a long time, but I'm OK now. I think it helps to be an artist, we can express our feelings in an intangible way.

    I wish I was there to help you transplant your garden and have a cuppa with you and Elinor. Miss you loads and loads but take it a day at a time and come back whenever you're ready.

    Actually, have you seen Instagram? It's mainly just a way to post photographs, you don't have to write a whole blog post, just caption the picture. Maybe you could put up a few photos of the stash as you are unpacking, or the plants that you are moving. Maybe it would help take your mind off things. Anyways, lots of love from all your readers.

    ReplyDelete